I just want to get some thoughts out there before the game starts:
- We're playing with house money now. IMO, whatever happens, this year has been a success. We made it back to the tourney, won a game, and put the program back in the top tier nationally.
- Ryan Randle was greatly underappreciated. Not to disparage our big men the past few years, but Ryan really added another dimension that's been missing lately. He was automatic when he got the ball in the paint, but because he came to MD right after Lonny left, I (and I think most Maryland fans) didn't fully appreciate how good he really was. Here's hoping Braxton Dupree is half as good as Ryan was.
- I'm really going to miss DJ next year. It's been amazing watching his transformation from a pace-changing 6th man to a selfless point guard to the clear leader of a very good team. He sets the mood for the entire team. I hope Greivis is learning a lot from DJ, because he's the heir apparent. This is Greivis' team for the next 3 years.
- Right after I typed that, the halftime feature on DJ and his dad came on. I have a lot more respect for Daryl after watching it. He came across as a really good guy and a good father who had a lot of problems. He clearly really cares about DJ and wants DJ to succeed and not squander his talents. Daryl talked about how proud he was that DJ did things the right way. I think that reflect well on Gary and the way that he develops players. It made me proud to be a Terp watching that.
- Every time I hear about Butler, I think of this guy.