March 2, 2008
In case it got lost in all the other bubble teams losing lately, tonight's game vs. Clemson is absolutely critical for Maryland.
If the Terps win, they:
1. Are guaranteed a finish above .500 in the ACC.
2. Get a much needed 2nd win against the RPI top 50.
3. Are guaranteed at least a tie for 4th in the ACC, and have a good shot at a bye in the ACC tournament.
4. Move back into the RPI top 50, passing bubble teams like Syracuse, Ohio St., URI, and UAB.
5. Take sole possession of 3rd in the ACC by 1/2 a game.
6. Get only their 2nd win against an ACC team with a winning conference record.
7. Likely clinch a berth in the tournament!!
If the Terps lose, they:
1. Have almost no chance at a bye in the ACC tournament.
2. Could still finish tied for 4th, but could also finish tied for 6th.
3. Will fall out of the RPI top 60.
4. Will be 1-6 against the RPI top 50, and 1-6 against the top 5 teams in the ACC.
5. Will need a win at UVA on Singletary's Senior Day AND a win in the first round of the ACC tournament to have a decent shot at the NCAA's.
Just in case you thought the Tigers have nothing to play for, here's what they get for winning:
1. A guaranteed finish over .500 in the ACC.
2. At least finish tied for 4th in the ACC.
3. Sole possession of 3rd in the ACC.
4. Control of their own destiny for 3rd in the ACC and a bye.